While emotional or mental stress isn’t likely to render you infertile overnight, stress levels do affect overall health, including the hormonal balances that affect ovulation timing and sperm quality/quantity. As everyone knows, the holidays can be as stressful as they are joyous, especially for those who are already worrying about infertility. That’s why Palm Beach Fertility Center staff and Dr. Mark Denker want to share a few helpful tips to get you through Thanksgiving and the upcoming holidays.
5 Tips for Surviving Holiday Fertility Stress
- Choose your festivities with care. There’s nothing wrong with attending only those celebrations that feature your most supportive loved ones — the last thing you need is a guilt trip or explosive conflict. Don’t feel guilty about saying no to people – fertility doctor’s orders!
- Plan a kid-free holiday. If you find the concept of being surrounded by other people’s children painful right now, seek out festive get-togethers for grownups instead, such as office parties, networking events or dinners hosted by a favorite association or organization.
- Take care of your health. Overindulgence in food and drink, lack of sufficient sleep and other “holiday traditions” will only run your body down, and make you more prone to the effects of stress. Focus on healthy foods, restful days and leisurely recreation.
- Lean on your partner (and vice versa). The holidays can be a wonderful time for expressions of love and solidarity. As frustrating and upsetting as infertility can be, your common cause and understanding can also be a source of great mutual strength and support. What better present could anyone give?
- Focus on others. We sometimes get so wrapped up in our own troubles that we forget the great good fortune we enjoy compared to others. Many charities and other non-profit organizations go into high gear during the holiday season, so consider turning your energies in that direction.
At Palm Beach Fertility Center, we wish you a happy, stress-free holiday season! For more information about our award-winning fertility treatments, we invite you to contact us online or call our office today at (888) 819-5177.