Open Accessibility Menu

Dealing with the Pain of Secondary Infertility

  • Posted On:
  • Written By: Mark Denker, M.D.
Each year, millions of couples are forced to deal with infertility as they struggle to build their families. While most people think of infertile couples as completely childless, secondary infertility is also an issue for some. Secondary infertility is the inability to conceive or carry a pregnancy to term after the birth of at least one child. Dr. Mark Denker and the team at Palm Beach Fertility can diagnose and treat secondary infertility.

Answers to Your Questions

Once you have already had a baby, you may feel shocked and discouraged to face difficulty getting pregnant again. At Palm Beach Fertility Center, we will perform a complete fertility evaluation and identify any barriers to conception. The following questions and answers provide basic information about secondary infertility.

How do I know if I need to see a fertility specialist about secondary infertility?

Just as with primary infertility, you should make an appointment at a fertility clinic if you have been trying for 12 months without success (six months if the female partner is over 35).

What causes secondary infertility?

Various factors can make it difficult to have additional children. Age, chronic health conditions, physical abnormalities and lifestyle changes can negatively impact your attempts to get pregnant again.

How can you treat secondary infertility?

After completing a full work-up, Dr. Denker will review treatment options with you, which may include fertility medications to stimulate ovulation, surgery to repair damaged tubes, intrauterine insemination to boost the likelihood of conception and in-vitro fertilization (IVF).

If you haven’t been able to conceive another child, don’t lose heart. Dr. Denker will partner with you to identify the causes of secondary infertility and recommend treatment so that you can expand your family.

For more information, please visit To schedule a consultation with Dr. Denker, contact our office.